Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Trouble stop


I loved Aerosmith growing up. And I still find myself defending them from time to time. I still believe that Tom Hamilton's work in the band is pretty much unimpeachable. I imagine him going back to the hotel after a gig, sighing at another Steven Tyler/Joe Perry shit show, then going online, checking his bank account, and climbing into bed with a smile and a shrug.

But I have wondered about something for a while. His playing on "Dream On" is pretty much roots and licks in octaves with the guitars. But then toward the very end he does this:


Why the double stop then? And why on D flat? I can't think of any reason to do this. Lots of reasons to do it on F. He could have done it on all of them, for that matter. D flat is pretty muddy. If you don't believe me check it out. He doesn't do it until 3:46.
                            

WHY?? It's quite distracting once you notice it.

Maybe it has something to do with the "Huge Chinese gong" at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment