Monday, May 19, 2014

The two-note trombone solo in "Pennies From Heaven"

         

I really love the Sinatra/Basie stuff. As much as I love anything, I figure. Like dry martinis. Mahler. Slim Jims. Dames with gams for days.

I've heard this recording of "Pennies From Heaven" a whole bunch of times. But it's been in my car. I heard it on headphones today and found a wonderful little treat. It happens at exactly 1:43.

CLICK THIS. WHY IT DOESN'T DISPLAY CORRECTLY, I DON'T KNOW

Oh yeah, 'bone 1! Major boner!

boner
1: one that bones
2: a clumsy or stupid mistake
3: you know what defiition 3 is

"One that bones"! Ha!

Anyway. Trying to figure out how this mistake happened. How?! I can understand two measures ahead, but not two beats. Especially after playing that and-of-two part for such a long time. Unless the copyist for this session was especially shitty and forgot to put a half-rest in the part.

How do you skip two beats??!

I could listen to this all day. I did, actually, when I wasn't making photocopies. Here's my transcription:


I still can't figure how someone would skip two beats. But I do appreciate that they kept the take, boner and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment